Skip to main content

Corporate games

A favorite game of our management team seems to be trying to get staff to confess to things. So, our direct supervisor comes in and tells us she got an angry call from the regional supervisor who got an angry call from the CEO who got an angry email from a customer saying we'd said "something" in our interaction with him that he didn't like. But they won't say which one of us supposedly said this thing. And they won't say what this supposed poorly said thing was. My coworker and I looked at each other - baffled - recounting how our encounters with this particular customer (who, by the way, has been a good friend of mine for a dozen years, unbeknownst to the corporate folks) were nothing but pleasant and friendly.

They want a full recounting of everything that was said between us.

Lo and behold, my friend walks into the office just a few minutes later and tells me exactly what he wrote to the CEO (before I even had a chance to bring it up), and it wasn't even about anyone in OUR office. It was about the employees at a completely different office that's under the same regional supervisor.

This would be a fair example of the "shit rolls downhill" management philosophy.

***

I had a breakfast meeting this morning and forgot to get a receipt so I can't expense the meal. That's $4.35 I'll never get back. At least I had bacon.

Comments