Skip to main content

No, MaM

I don't normally get sucked in to the trendy thing to do, but I binge watched Netflix's Making a Murderer yesterday and today.

1) Avery may not be innocent, but there's definitely reasonable doubt.

I've covered plenty of trials as a journalist, and court reporting (along with doing police logs) has contributed greatly to my natural condition of cynical bitch. However, I have come to see that juries hate defendants and are inclined to convict regardless of what is put before them.

The American system of justice is supposed to be based on "innocent until proven guilty," and that's supposed to be guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. This is actually unusual, as many justice systems presume guilt and require that innocence be proven.

In real life, the American system is as bad or worse. While juries really are only expected to determine if a defendant is "guilty" or "not guilty" - and a "guilty" verdict, under the law, must be proven by the prosecution - they are more likely to look at someone and say, "He's not innocent, so he's guilty." NOT THE SAME THING!

Prosecution is required to prove not only that that a defendant committed a particular crime, but they also must prove every single aspect of the offense beyond a reasonable doubt, or the defendant is not to be found "guilty" of that given offense.

Yeah. That never happens.

I'm not being sarcastic. Really. That NEVER happens.

The American public is so inclined to believe in the guilt of anyone ACCUSED of anything, that an actual ARREST and CHARGE, and further than that, a TRIAL, means that the person must be guilty.

2) Brenden Dassey was so railroaded by the system that it's absolutely disgusting.

But, you know what? This is the way they really do it.

Many watching the video of Dassey's interrogation might believe that this was an anomaly, or the investigators/inquisitors were taking advantage of the boy's obvious lack of intelligence.

No. This is the way they do it.

Again, I know from experience. It's precisely the way deputies talked to me when my husband was accused of abusing my child from a previous marriage. I knew for a fact that what they were saying wasn't true. Fortunately they weren't accusing me of anything, but they spent hours gently weedling and leading, trying to get me to agree to their version of events.

(To be more specific, my son had a very small bruise behind his ear, which they said proved my husband hit him. I knew for a fact that the bruise was because my son had an ear infection and continually pulled on, dug at and and even hit his ear with his own fist. He has Asperger's, and this is a typical behavior for Aspys. Did they listen at all to the mother? No. Everyone lies, and everyone does nasty things they try to hide. There are no good people. That's the assumption.)

3) My faith in humanity is further eroded.

Comments