Skip to main content

Schmidt's Natural Deodorant in Lavender + Sage

Another item in my January Allure Beauty Box was a half-ounce sample tub of Schmidt's Lavender-Sage Natural Deodorant. The full-size version is two ounces.

I'm usually a pretty straightforward regular commercial antiperspirant kinda gal. (Suave 24-hour invisible solid is my daily go-to.) I always make a point of trying out as much in my beauty box as I can, though, so I gave the natural deodorant a shot.

I've tried the crystal deodorant before. I think I gave it a day, maybe two, before I tossed it. This one is a whole different thing. It's a shea butter based cream with a nice lavender sage scent.

The firm waxy paste melts to a creamy and slightly gritty texture as you rub it between your fingers, and application is easy and feels smooth. The scent is just what you'd expect from lavender sage and lingered lightly without being overpowering.

The arrowroot in the formulation does act to control wetness to some degree, and the shea butter should work to keep your underarms in nice condition.

I did notice a little odor developing late in the day that called for a second application, but if that's not a time or convenience issue, this seems a nice little break from antiperspirants. (We've all read the horror stories about aluminum in antiperspirants, but we still aren't willing to stink.)

The ingredient list is comforting. It contains only shea butter, baking soda, arrowroot powder, cocoa seed butter, clary sage essential oil, lavender essential oil, vitamin E and hop extract.

I don't think I'd use this on a long day at the office with an evening meeting, but it should serve nicely on a day that ends at 5 o'clock when I can come home and reapply after work.

Grade: B-

Here's what the Allure editors had to say about it:

What it is: An all-natural, vegan, and cruelty-free deodorant
What it does: Fights underarm odor
Key ingredients: Baking soda (neutralizes odor); arrowroot powder (absorbs wetness); shea and cocoa-seed butters (moisturize)
How it looks/feels/smells: The white powder-cream melts down to a gritty salve between your fingers for application (you read that right-you rub it on with your fingers), and its clean, fresh, just-rolled-around-in-a-lavender-field scent lasts until you wash off the deodorant.
Why we like it: Your hippie-dippie friend may have tried to turn you onto armpit rocks, but we are not your hippie-dippie friend. This is the natural deodorant for people who don't like natural deodorant...because it actually works. And even though it's not technically an antiperspirant, it keeps underarams fairly dry thanks to its arrowroot-powder base. But the stuff isn't perfect. One tester decribed scooping a pea-size dollop out of the pot as being like "digging into a candle" (though the full-size version comes with a cute little spatula), and another just couldn't get used to the feeling of spreading a cream on her pits with her fingers. But if you're interesting in switching to a natural deo (and getting your friend off your back), this is the one to try.
Price: $8.99
Where to buy it: Schmidtsdeodorant.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just shoot me

I had another morning meeting, but at least this one was more interesting. It was about active shooter situations. I didn't get bacon, but I got a surprisingly good yogurt. And coffee. The lessons were for HR professionals to establish policies and train their employees for active shooter situations. Our office is wide open with no hiding places, a glass front and in an industry that pisses people off on a daily basis. And our HR office is located several states away and has no concern for its employees. We're screwed. *** It's Friday evening and I'm home and cozy and out of the cold, wet, icky outness out there. But I'm hungry. No problem. My 17-year-old daughter has a life - meaning she's out. So I texted her to bring home sushi. Parents, don't miss out on the opportunity to take full advantage of your children. (If you feel the slightest bit guilty, just remember those nights you had to run out to the only store that was open at 10 p.m. on a Thu...

Knock, knock

All day, every day. Knock, knock, knock, knock, knock. That's my neighbor with a hammer. I live in a townhouse. These are rentals. We're not allowed to hang things on the wall. You've been at this long enough to have built furniture for the whole town. What the HELL are you hammering at every frickin' day? *** Note to Discover Card: I sent you that "preapproved" credit application, and you sent me back a denial because my job pays shit. Ok. I let it go. Chase was fine with me, and I've paid every bill on time or early. So, Discover, you can just STOP sending me more credit offers! You missed your chance, and I've moved on. Get over it. *** I've been rewatching Girlfriends. I remember loving this show. Now, I see it's about a so-called strong and independent woman whose only purpose in life is to get a man. Then keep a man. Then get married. I have two daughters. I tell them, "DON'T EVER BE THIS WOMAN." Live y...

Derma E Hydrating Night Creme

I've seen a lot of beauty magazines that say a night cream is really no different from a day cream, but Derma E Hydrating Night Creme is definitely something you want to use at night. This item in my January Allure Beauty Box is the kind of product that makes me so glad I subscribe. I get so many premium-size samples like this that I barely have to go out and buy any full-size products anymore. They also allow me to really get a feel for a product before I spend money on a full-size container. This night cream has a thick, luxurious texture that feels great going on at the end of a long day after cleansing. It's especially welcome on my dry, taut, winter skin. After applying, I got a little nervous, as it felt like there was definitely a coating on top of my skin (which is why you wouldn't want to use it for day). But I kept it on overnight and woke up to find it fully absorbed and my skin feeling much fresher and plumper in the morning than it has in quite a while....